EQMac.com

Everquest for the Mac discussion
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 10 hours

Post subject: eqmac vs eq pc
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:33 am 

Hi, I have played EQ for 9 years on a PC, last year i bought a great new 24" imac and I love it, i have no desire to ever go back to a PC except i miss playing my EQ game (its been over a year now since i played) ... can someone tell me if I start playing EQ on my mac can I still have my guild and characters from my PC ?

thanks
Ortho lvl 79 magician
guild: Frayed knot on the rathe server :)

Post subject: Re: eqmac vs eq pc
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:38 am 

You can't.

However, you *can* have lots of fun starting again on Al'Kabor.

Pathfinders of Al'Kabor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:46 am 

thanks circe, maybe I'll start again ..but gosh losing 9 years and my beloved magician ... it hurts :(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:47 am 

Wow good to see a fellow Karana server member (now the Rathe). Always LOVED your guild name. I played a level 70 monk named Eamonn on Karana and stopped sometime before level 70 was no longer the cap.

There are a lot of no brainer, frustrating, things that should really get patched on EQ mac server, but they wont. Get used to not using a map too. All in all its a great experience and has kept me happily putting in close to 20 hours a week on the server. I would suggest learning how to box or play a solo class however, grouping is not going to be easy...

If you want to recapture some of the original triumphs and tribulations that made you so proud of that mage, this server is perfect. If you want your mage to be a tank/slower/healer with a mercenary by their side doing all of the above as well, might want to stick with PC. I havent even checked to see what kind of class bending nonsense the newest expansion is going to have : )

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:53 am 

frayed knot suggested i load something like paralels or fusion to run windows on a mac but i am not sure how that would go especially in raids, I am not keen to give up my mag and start again although if i have to i will

thanks for the advice

/cheers ortho

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:57 am 

Was FK on Karana, or is that a reference to after the merger? I don't remember FK until after I arrived on Rathe from Karana. And before you ask, I am not (currently) on EQMac, I got my account up and running way back when, but my mac blew up on me, and been unable to afford a new one. =0

I had a lot of friends in FK, though ALL of them have left, FK as I see it is on the verge of collapse.

[34 Druid] Taeni (Wood Elf)

[33 Enchanter] Razy (Erudite)
[33 Magician] Rizy (Erudite)
[33 Wizard] Ruzy (Erudite)
[33 Necromancer] Naylia (Dark Elf)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:20 pm 

FK was always on the rathe, before the merge, it used to be one of the leading raid guilds but has suffered problems with people leaving eq and FK, although I have not played for a year it seems they are pretty healthy again, i wont really know till i can log in and am still investigating using paralels or fusion right now its not looking very promising

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:50 pm 

A lot of ex-PC players find things in EQMac that they didn't really expect. Lots of them enjoy it too. Give the free trial a shot and you'll have your answer sooner or later.

Dwarven Overlord and Officer of Temerity!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:41 pm 

Hmm I must be mistaken I thought FK was a Karana guild but I guess not. Its been so long since the merger, so forgive me. Good to hear theyre still around at least in some form!

And yes if you use Parallels and an OEM copy of Win Xp (or vista or 7) you can run a full instance of windows and run any windows based apps including everquest. You do not need Parallels AND Fusion, those are alternate methods to get to the same goal.